Tuesday 27 October 2015

And Your Bird Can Sing

I recently returned from a Jazz festival in Ireland; an experience that has made me realize that up until now, I had never noticed just how much of an influence my parent's taste in music has had on mine. So in honour of that, my pride in their varied and extraordinary ear for a solid tune, and simply an expression of how much I love and miss them, I wrote a little something for them. This is that something:


She loved a ballad, and he loved the blues.
His words, they sang:
Wherever I go, I'll go with you.

With you, I'll go, her voice returned.
With every beat, for you I'll yearn.

There ain't no rhythm I'll play,
That you can't follow,
If with every morning
You promise me tomorrow.

Tomorrow's a promise no heart can keep.
But I will always hum
While you tap your feet.

There will always be love songs,
The blues will play forever.
If we don't have tomorrow
Let's sing this last song together.

And promise me this, if nothing other:
So long as there's love--
And love lives forever,
You will be mine,
My darling,
My lover.

If love lives forever, as blues does not die,
My darling, I'll love you.
My lover, you're mine.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment